Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wisdom Speaks from Proverbs 19

Wisdom speaks: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying." Proverbs 19:18. Does anybody else remember the days when we knew we were going to be physically chastised for wrongdoing? And the discipline session that started with,
"This hurts me more than it hurts you"?
You know I never believed that one! Or how about this:
"I'd rather beat you now than have the police beat you later."
Didn't understand that one either, that is, until I had a child of my own. What is happening nowadays? Parents are afraid to discipline their children. Even those as young as two or three are allowed to say and do whatever they want with no adverse consequences. No wonder they become spoiled and self-centered and place very little value on human life. Wisdom says that parents should instill discipline in their children before they get too old for change. While there is hope that they will become well-mannered citizens of society, we have to provide the loving guidance that discipline really is. It is not just punishment, although sometimes that is necessary. Discipline involves teaching. Who better to teach your child to become someone you can be truly proud of than you? It is hard sometimes, for we do not ever want to see our children hurt or deny them anything they desire. But we must have hope that our loving teaching and training will help them to fulfill the will of God in their lives. Thanks, Mom, for all those times you brought me back into line - you had hope! I just wish hope hadn't hurt so bad. :-)
Search Amazon.com for dare to discipline

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Need to Right What's Wrong

Hi there, my friends!  I know, I'm not a consistent blogger.  I have been working for many years to change that, but I am finding that m...