Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Wisdom Speaks from Proverbs 31

Wisdom Speaks:
Pro 31:1 The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
Pro 31:2 What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?

Even though there is the much-lauded description of the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31, the first two verses are my favorites. I love the acknowledgment of King Lemuel's mother, the mention of the fact that she taught him, prepared him to be a king. The Bible does not say when she taught him; it only tells us that she did. She acknowledged him as her son, but she did not stop there: she said "son of my womb," which implies that he was the product of her own body, not borne to her by anyone else. And finally, she calls him "son of my vows," which implies that he was born to a marriage which she honored and treasured. Our children may not have been born to such ideal circumstances. Perhaps you have not had a natural child. But you are still endued with the power to instruct kings. Be it your natural children or children of God who need help, you can honor your vows to God by instructing kings. Help them learn to exercise authority, to operate in wisdom, to use good judgment. If you read the next verses in Proverbs 31, you will see that King Lemuel's mother instructed him to avoid things that would taint his kingship. This is a valuable lesson that should be taught to all of God's kings and priests on the earth. Wisdom says that kings have to be prepared, taught how to be what they already are before it is manifested to the world. We used to have church mothers, called by many "mothers in Zion." They taught us holiness, whether we wanted to know about it or not. They prepared us to live in the kingdom of God. I submit you do not have to be elderly to fit the bill. Dispense wisdom to the kings in your sphere of influence. Many of them do not recognize who they are - who they should be. The next generation needs Godly mothers in order to learn how to become kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Need to Right What's Wrong

Hi there, my friends!  I know, I'm not a consistent blogger.  I have been working for many years to change that, but I am finding that m...