Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reflections of the Way We Used to Be

Funny - that little tune - I think it was Diana Ross's song - is in my mind right now. It's two o'clock in the morning, and I am writing not only in this blog, but in the draft of my upcoming book, Surviving Your Season of Shame. I just finished telling the story of my divorce from my first husband and I feel wiped out.

When I read back over the story, it seems unreal, like it happened to someone else. But in my heart, I know it happened to me. I feel it, not the same way I did when it happened, but in a real way nonetheless.

This story, which begins the third chapter of the book, is still a hard pill to swallow. It makes me wonder if I was so much different then than I am today. Is this truly a reflection of the way we used to be? Unfortunately, it is.

Thank God for the promise that there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)! Because if I still had to carry the burdens of my past I would be knee bowed and body bent (and not in the good Baptist prayer way, either). Thank God that Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law.

I am praying that I will have the strength to finish this book. I feel the leading of the Spirit of God to tell it the way it is (or was), but I am still mindful that this is my story, my life. When people read it, my secrets will be exposed, my past brought to the forefront, and my deep hurts laid open for all to see.

So why am I writing it? Because I have to. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me to preach this word in this way so that someone who is brokenhearted can be healed.

What is the Spirit of the Lord upon you do to? I encourage you to get to it! Your story may be the one that someone needs in order to know that they can make it through what is troubling them right now. Woe unto you if you do not preach the gospel. You may not be a theologian or an ordained minister. But if you are saved, there is a story inside of you that can help someone else overcome the enemy.

You may not be called to write it. You may be called to sing it. You may be called to whisper it to someone on a park bench or at a bus stop. But whatever you are called to do, get to it!

Two o'clock in the morning is a strange time to contemplate and reflect on your life. But if my two o'clock experience helps even one person, it will be worth it all. God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Need to Right What's Wrong

Hi there, my friends!  I know, I'm not a consistent blogger.  I have been working for many years to change that, but I am finding that m...